Healthcare Property FAQ

Get all the answers to your healthcare property related questions with our handy FAQs. Our healthcare property frequently asked questions will hopefully answer all those miscellaneous questions pertaining to this unique commercial property category.

Healthcare property frequently asked questions

Healthcare commercial property is versatile and offers a range of opportunities to businesses from all areas of the sector. Below we look at some of the reasons why.

What types of businesses require health care property?

The healthcare sector encompasses a broad range of providers all of whom require premises to conduct their businesses. These include doctors and dentists on the lookout for properties suitable for surgeries and pharmacists searching for high street commercial properties. Others in the industry may be looking for a healthcare property for the following purposes; R&D, care homes, specialised care facilities, medical centres, close care schemes, private hospitals, day centres and assisted living units.

What are the positive points of healthcare properties

There are numerous positive factors associated with healthcare properties, some of which we have listed below:

  • Demand for services
  • Potential for business growth
  • Flexible usage

What regulations are required to run a health care property

This is entirely dependant on the service provided by your business. Depending on the market you choose to be in, you will have to do further research to ascertain exactly what is required. For example, if you’re planning to open a health clinic, you will be regulated to have high levels of cleanness in the property.

What properties are suitable for a new dentists practise?

You would require a D1 property, which is classified under Non-Residential Institutions. Traditionally, many dentists practises are converted from residential properties, and in some cases, new dentists can be created this way. You would need to speak to your local planning council and in most cases would require the residential property to be in a suitable zone within the area.

What properties can I use for a sport massage therapy business?

This would fall under the same category as a dentists practise so a D1 property a Non-Residential Institutions.

What type of property is required to sell non prescription based drugs?

In the United Kingdom, medicines are governed by the 1968 Medicines Act, which breaks medication down into three classifications; Prescription only medicine(POM), General Sales List(GSL) and Pharmacy Medicines(P) and to sell POM or P Medications. If you plan to sell only GSL medications then you don’t need a licence or certification and a store selling these would be classified as a normal retail property leading to come under A1.

Can I change a large residential property into a care home?

Changing a residential property into a care home would indeed require planning permission from the local council. It would also be dependant upon the property zoning so it’s important to check this too.

Next Article


Registering with MOVEHUT is easy, simply visit out sign up page.